4/9/13

Eulogy To No-One-In-Particular


I didn’t know no-one-in-particular particularly well, but I do have a few words to say about them after hearing the news of their untimely, or otherwise completely expected, demise.

Firstly, they will be missed. Or not. By people who actually made a point of showing they cared about them while they were still alive. Or not. They will be thought of fondly. Or not. And will live on in our memories. Or not. But for now at least, we’ll all pretend like that’s the case and match one another’s solemn expressions and hallowed words of the recently deceased’s nostalgic footprints. This will be done mostly through the telling of redundant stories or buried feelings that only in death do we fully celebrate bringing to life.

No-one-in-particular was a good person. Or not. And inspired in those around them an elaborate list of very positive things that would be either gross exaggerations or flat out laughable to say while they were still alive. Depending on how wealthy they were, and how close we were, I may or may not take it upon myself to give an extra shit about the loss of them in the company of others less likely to have been included in their will. I do this both out of social obligation and the hope that karma only pays attention when I’m feeling guilty about dead people leaving me things and living people resenting me for those things that I now own.

Anytime I see a photograph of no-one-in-particular I will feel a stabbing glimpse of my own mortality and then sweep it under the rug of denial that is middle age through senility. Depending on how close we were I may or may not reflect on my own life after hearing about their death. I may or may not change my life after hearing about their death. Family could suddenly become more important to me. Perspective on what’s really important in life may finally make itself clear. But one thing’s for certain. After the death of no-one-in-particular, no one in particular will be able to live the same way they used to. And as age chips away the tender flesh of our lives and leaves us scarred and wrinkled from it’s experiences, one day, we too will become quite particular about the idea of no-one-in-particular.